The purposes of the Douglas College Faculty Association (DCFA) are as follows:
- To promote, maintain, and defend independence of thought and teaching; and to promote the welfare and professional interests of its members.
- To regulate relations between employers and employees through collective bargaining, to conclude, revise, and terminate collective agreements
- To advise its members on questions of mutual concern to its members and the administration of the College.
- To cooperate with other bodies whose interests are similar, in particular with provincial, national and international associations of college and university faculties.
- To represent the views of its members on committees, boards, and other bodies responsible for decisions affecting education in the community.
- To deal with other matters considered to be in the interest of the Association or its members.
- To seek affiliation with local, provincial, national and international labour organizations when deemed appropriate.